I know that might sound a bit strange coming from a person who spends so much time focused on green and energy-efficient homes and building a green life.
It's just that we hold up Earth Day as a time to focus on the environment, but does anyone really believe that one day is enough? The fact is everyday needs to be Earth Day.
So how will I mark Earth Day 2010?
- I will recycle the paper my office generates
- I will recycle or refill the print cartridges my printer uses
- I will try to keep my files in digital form
- I will not print emails on paper
- I will turn off the lights in my home that the kids leave on
- I will change any light bulbs that burn out to CFLs or LEDs
- I will keep my computer set to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity
- I will try to reduce the amount I drive my car
- I will take my reusable grocery bags to the supermarket
- I will attempt to buy food that was grown organically
- I will support my local farmers market
- I will not use harsh chemicals to clean my house
- I will continue to be the head cheerleader for green and energy-efficient homes in our area
Those are just a few of the things that I do EVERY DAY, so April 22nd isn't going to be anything different for me.
Of course, if you are reading this and haven't made any of these really simple steps part of your normal day then maybe Earth Day is a great time to start.
Perhaps the only thing that I will do tomorrow that is different is take a minute to think of a few new things to add to my list. I hope you do too!
Happy Earth Day!
Live green and buy a green home in Pittsburgh! Call Christa Ross from RE/MAX Select Realty, at 724-933-6300 x214 (office) or 724-779-1437 (direct) or visit my website at www.greenhomespgh.com.
Buying or Selling a home in Pittsburgh? Call Christa Ross from RE/MAX Select Realty, at 724-933-6300 x214 (office) or 724-309-1758 (direct) or visit my website at www.bestpittsburghhomes.com.